First United Methodist Church

118 S 7th St, Albion, IL 62806

History

A Wabash District-sponsored revival meeting began in Albion, IL for the purpose of getting people saved and filled with the Holy Spirit and for establishing a Free Methodist congregation here.

The services were held in a tent located on the Old College Ground, known at the time as the Coil Factory (later known as the Johnny Manufacturing Co/Kern Manufacturing.

The revival begin on September 6, 1949 with Rev. Raymond Chitty as evangelist & Mrs. Chitty as children’s worker.  Mrs. Effie Head of Petersburg served as the song evangelist.

Rev. Hugh Enicks was appointed pastor.  He lived in a parsonage purchased by the Wabash District.

Two weeks of excessive rain and cool weather forced the services inside.  Judge Fitch offered his large property, just off the square from the courthouse.

The first Sunday School class met on September 25 with 25 in attendance and an offering taken of $2.19.

On Sunday morning, October 2, Rev. Enicks and Rev. Chitty organized the church, with the permission of the District Superintendent J.L. Bright.  A call was made for all who would to come forward to be received into church membership.  While singing “Must Jesus Bear the Cross Alone” and “Blest Be the tie that Binds”, sixteen responded: thirteen adults and three junior members.  Among those responding for membership were Mrs. Thelma Enicks, Mrs. Virgil Kingsley, Mr. Virgil Kingsley, Mr. Glen Ile, Mrs. Edith Ile, Mrs. Bernice Wood, Mrs. Mollie Turpin, Paul Baker, Esther Baker, Mrs. Mabel Hallam, Ed Hallam, Inez Harper & Robert Harper.  The Junior Members were Betty Ile, Hugh Enicks and Darwin Enicks

Rev. Raymond Chitty then read the questions required for membership, after which all sang “When We All Get to Heaven”.  The meeting was considered dismissed.

edited from history written by Mrs. Ida Chitty